Afghan evacuees line up before boarding one of the last Italy’s military aircraft C130J during evacuation at Kabul’s airport, Afghanistan, on Aug. 27, 2021. (Italian Ministry of Defence/Handout via Reuters)
A U.S. military spokesman confirmed that a U.S. military airstrike targeted a suicide bomber who tried to attack the Kabul airport on Aug. 29 amid the American-led evacuation of the airport.
Zabihullah Mujahid, the main Taliban spokesman, had earlier told The Associated Press and other outlets that the strike occurred on Aug. 29. U.S. military officials haven’t gone on the record to confirm the strike, and The Epoch Times has contacted the Department of Defense for comment.
Unnamed U.S. officials told Reuters and other news outlets on Aug. 29 that a military strike was launched against a possible suicide car bomber who was targeting the airport. Witnesses told Al Jazeera that they heard a loud explosion near the facility, and footage showed black smoke rising into the sky.